Our History: 2018 - 2019
President's Message - August 2018
To All Members, Associates, Affiliates and out of country members
As some of you are aware the new ASHRAE SA Chapter was officially chartered on 27 July 2018.
In this regard you will see some associated tweets, Facebook blogs and magazine articles related to the charter ceremony and the formation of the Chapter which included the Society President, Sheila Hayter, Vice President Farooq Mehboob, Region At Large Chair Dr Ahmed Alaa along with other international dignitaries who officially handed over the gavel and charter to your new committee.
Attached is a list of the committee along with the chairs of the additional committee’s setup to date, with contact numbers and e-mail addresses. Our new chapter is only as strong and active as you our members and I would encourage you to communicate on the ASHRAE e-mail addresses your intent to volunteer to the chair of any of the relative committee as an active committee member. The committee’s in red are still looking for chairs and committee members so please feel free to volunteer for these positions as well to either myself or our secretary Russell Hattingh.
To fill you in on the committee activities to date, we have had extremely fruitful and successful meetings with:
- ECSA with the intent of becoming a Voluntary Association and having our technical courses accredited, our President Elect Olu Soluade is undertaking this important task,
- SAIRAC with the intent of entering into a Memorandum of Understanding covering a host of areas from training to the Fridgair Convention and membership reciprocity to mention a few,
- GBCSA with the intent of entering into a Memorandum of Understanding covering areas from training, to Conference involvement along with common committee involvement,
- CIDB with the intent of entering into a Memorandum of Understanding covering new Standard development and being more actively involved in the support of some of their current technical developments,
- SAIMechE and SAIEE with the intent of entering into a Memorandum of Understanding covering training and membership reciprocity,
- CESA with the intent of entering into a Memorandum of Understanding for bursaries, honours and industry related awards,
- We also met with numerous consulting practices and role players in our industry which gave us some insight into what we should be focusing our activities on this year,
A typical Society year runs from June through to June so based on our Charter date we are already one month behind and all our committee chairs are frantically in the process of setting up the year’s objectives for each committee which will be reviewed and approved at our first Committee meeting on 30 August 2018, following which these will be shared with all of you detailing our Chapter activities for the year which we hope you will support. We are national, so all technical courses and training events will have video conferencing to enable even our Botswana and Mauritius members to join in with us for these events.
We are volunteer based so will rely heavily on our members to once again get up, take action and get involved in our industry and allied fields to ensure that we have some sustainability in our youth, culture and business fields.
This, being our first year, will be busy as all the necessary structures are put in place but it will also be a productive year that will see the formation of some new technical committee’s which you will be notified about in due course. Importantly to remember, is that we are a non-profit organization and rely on funding from you our members and sponsorships to continue to offer our Chapter maximum output as long as we have funding coming in so will rely on your dedicated support at out Chapter Technical meetings along with your active feedback on chapter progress. Should you or your company wish to donate an Adhoc sponsorship please do not hesitate to contact myself or our secretary as these can also be at our technical meetings where you will be given the opportunity of some recognition. I would like to take the time to thank our sponsors to date:
- Platinum Sponsor - ISIB Turkish HVAC Exporters Association,
- Gold sponsor - Trane / Service First,
- Silver Sponsors
- AOS Consulting,
- Baltimore Aircoil,
- Heating Centre
- Ingenium Engineers
- Ad Hoc sponsors
- Energy Partners
- ASHRAE Region At Large
There is so much to do and so much that can be offered to you our members along with the built environment, so I would like to take this opportunity of asking all of you to sit up, take notice and once again note that it is time to get involved in the improvement of all the industries allied to our sciences and lastly, to network and take the time to meet your colleagues at the upcoming technical meetings.
ASHRAE SA Chapter President