MOU with SAIRAC
During the AGM, ASHRAE SA signed an MOU with SAIRAC for the furtherance of our relationships and the development of our sector.
UJ Student Branch
We are pleased to announce the establishment of the first ASHRAE Student branch at the University of Johannesburg. Below the photos of the chartering ceremony of the student branch by our chapter President Elect, Mr Richard Humphrey.
We would like to recognise the immense contribution of Prof. Daniel Madyira in the realization of the student branch and we wish the new officers led by the President of the UJ Student branch chapter, Mr Khutso Ntobeng.
From the Desk of the President
10 May 2021
THE PRESIDENTIAL THEME: A CALL TO SERVICE
It is my pleasure to be re-elected as the incoming president for the ASHRAE SA Society year 2021/2022. During the 2020/2021 society year, my presidential theme was: TEAM: together each achieving more. During the society year, it was apparent that the success of any group of people is completely dependent on working together as a team and speaking the same language i.e.,
- Having a united outlook
- All hands-on deck
We found out quite quickly during the past year that working together is key and we will need all hands on the plough to achieve our goals. Following the steps of the Society, a five-year strategic plan was developed for the SA Chapter with the following foci:
Goal 1: Start up at least one student chapter branch every year
Goal 2: Sponsor one graduate student into internship every year with the aim of developing into YEA leadership
Goal 3: Connect all student branches and advisor into a formidable operational team
Goal 4: Get all BOG members active and BOG members looking after committee
Goal 5: Next generation leadership
We will also conform to the strategic goals as declared by ASHRAE.
The above now leads to our Society year 2021/2022 theme: A Call to Service.
WHAT IS SERVICE?
The two definitions of service that we want to consider are as follows:
- The action of helping or doing work for someone.
- A system supplying a public need such as transport, communications, or utilities such as electricity and water.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR SERVICE?
- Availability: time allocation and readiness to make a difference
- Willingness: with joyous and joyful heart. Not coerced or forced but willingness to commit and serve
- Sacrifice: going out of your way and will cost you something
- Visionary: where there is no vision, the people perish. Must be visionary to make a difference
THE HALLMARK OF SERVICE
- Servant leadership: showing how it is done and not bossing people around.
- Leadership by example.
- Not eyeservice: Colossians 3: 17: and whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.
THE ADVANTAGES OF SERVICE
- Joint success
- Super abundant achievement
THE EFFECT AND OUTCOME OF AN ACCEPTABLE SERVICE
- Achievement of the vision and goals
- Motivated and empowered team
- Successful and growing team
- Encouragement, dedication and commitment
- Thankful heart and people with a heart of gratitude
MY AND YOUR PARTThe message is clear, how do we make a difference in the Society, we need you to be:
- Servant leadership
- Sacrifice time, ideas and run with the vision
CONCLUSIONIn a volunteering organisation, the commitment and sacrificial giving of time and ideas by all members is critical to the successful operation of the team/society. We call you to serve with dignity, integrity and discipline. Be available to make a difference and leave a long-lasting legacy in our industry. Yes, we can serve and make a success of the society. Thank you, and welcome to the 2021/22 Society year for ASHRAE SA. We value your time and inputs.
President ASHRAE SA Chapter 2021/2022
ASHRAE Society Theme
The theme of the Presidential Address for 2021-22 [video] is Personal Growth. Global Impact. Feeding Our Roots. This society theme was shared during Mick's inaugural address at the 2021 ASHRAE Virtual Annual Conference on 30 June 2021.
- ASHRAE: COVID-19 preparedness resources
- ASHRAE: Position paper on Airborne Infectious Diseases
- ASHRAE: Guidance for building operations during the COVID-19 pandemic
- USA Dept of Labour: Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19 (OSHA 3990-03 2020)
- SA President's Address to Joint Sitting of Parliament on SA's Economic Reconstruction & Recovery Plan
Technical Talks & Training
- SAIRAC Safe handling of refrigerants course (8 evenings in-person, Gqeberha/PE, R1950 SAIRAC members, R2650 non-members)